Its no secret that our recent collection was inspired by the Scottish Highlands and with the Scottish Highlands comes out love for Mary Queen of Scots. Here are some interesting facts about the child queen.
1. She became queen at the ripe old age of 6 days... yep 6 days old.
2. At the age of 16 between 1559 and 1560 she also became the queen of France through marriage to the soon to be King Frances until his death.
3. Mary fled back to Scotland where she married her cousin, Lord Darnley, Margaret Tudors grandson. Marrying another Tudor infuriated Queen Elizabeth I who was trying to supposedly stamp out the Tudor bloodline.
3. Her only son, James, soon became the king of Scotland and England after Queen Elizabeth I.
4. Mary Queen of Scots abdicated her throne for her son.
5. Her son James was a twin, but the twin unfortunately was a stillborn.
6. Mary seeked refuge in England from her now protestant Scotland where she was then captured by her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, and held captive up until her death.
7. She was then beheaded by her cousin Queen Elizabeth I. It is said Queen Elizabeth was quite jealous of little Mary Queen of Scots. Many of the English residents believed that Mary was a more legitimate claim for the English throne and it should be Mary up there not Elizabeth.
8. King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth's father, was Mary's grandmothers brother.
9. Items worn by Mary Queen of Scots at the time of her execution, including the chopping block, were all apparently burnt to deter relic hunters.
10. Mary Queen of Scots was the last monarch of Scotland until Bonnie Prince Charlie tried to regain his families throne.